In January 2005, Part P of the Building Regulations came into effect. This part of the building regulations covers the electrical installation; the purpose was to improve the standard of electrical work being carried out in people's homes.

This means that, with some exceptions, electrical work undertaken in your home such as the addition of a new electrical circuit or any work in your kitchen, bathroom or garden must be notified to the Local Authority Building Control for inspection. This takes time and costs the homeowner money, with Local Authorities charging approximately 150 per visit. However, if you use an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme, an inspection by the Local Authority is not required. See below for more information on the Competent Person Scheme.

Competent Person Scheme
An electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme will be able to self-certify that the work meets the required standards, and they will notify your Local Authority Building Control Department on your behalf. You will then receive a building compliance certificate which you may have to produce at a later date.